Sunday, June 20, 2010

Scrimmage for TX State Championships

Ever since about a year ago Justin Rose (Owner of Bushido MMA in Arlington, TX) and I have talked about getting our schools together for some rolling. Last NAGA on May 22/23, Bushido placed 1st for kids/teens and we earned 2nd. We don't care about our teams beating each other but making our students the best they can be. Bushido has a strong Judo background, kids do gi and nogi and the adults just do gi. Team Trinity is BJJ & Nogi and has a Sambo influence.

It turned out to be an AWESOME day of training! 75 people came to compete and roll! We ran 4 matches at once. I ran 1 match in my cage, 3 on my main mats and we packed the house with spectators. My blue belts helped ref, Justin's brother watched the teens in the cage while Mr. Rose and I matched the kids up as best as possible. The kids ran about 2 hours and they probably got about 10 or so rolls in a piece. We focused on getting as much rolling time in for the kids as possible. Next came the adults and kids were dismissed with the exception of those who wanted to roll in the octagon. We had them 'compete' for about a half an hour and get 4 or so rolls in a piece and then we just called an open mat and had everyone roll and keep switching partners.

I can only watch people roll for so long before I start twitching and have to roll, especially at MY gym. lol So I changed from t-shirt and shorts to rashguard and nogi shorts and got my roll on for the 1st time since Worlds. I rolled for about an hour and then the guys wanted some break down of my head and arm game. I broke down the Darce from half guard, the Japanese Necktie and Hawaiian Necktie. After a few more rolls we started shooting the breeze and hanging out. They are a GREAT bunch of guys and can't wait to do the 'scrimmage' every 4-6 weeks. Obviously Bushido is a great school and has a great instructor. They don't sandbag to win and are an honest bunch who just like to train. That's why it works so well for us. I just want the best for my students and cross training like this is reaaaally good for my people. We learned some good Judo from them and they had a great side control. It helps to open peoples minds to what I ALWAYS am telling them,"Train takedowns!" We have a wrestler who teaches that's from Iowa and I teach Sambo but people will shy from the throwing classes. We smash takedowns gi and nogi at tournaments but some people got their eyes opened by going against a school who trains Judo 3 times a week.

till next time